I originally made this Starfish back in 2019 and had it on my old website. That year I wrote up so many new beach and ocean themed patterns as I was scheduled to vend at a mermaid festival!
I decided to redo the pictures this year and spruce up the pattern a bit. It is now available for free here or you can purchase the PDF in my Etsy Shop. I hope you enjoy making these little guys as much as I do!
I have big plans for this applique in the coming months, so be sure to stay tuned!
• 4 – 5mm / G-H Crochet Hook
• Worsted weight yarn in your choice of colors. I used Hobby Lobby Brand Yarn Bee in Clay.
• Yarn Needle
• CH – Chain
• SC – Single Crochet
• HDC – Half Double Crochet
• DC – Double Crochet
• TR – Triple Crochet (Treble Crochet)
• SLST – Slip Stitch
Written in Standard US Crochet Terms
Advanced Beginner Level
• Each Arm is made by chaining and then working in the back bumps (or 3rd loop) of the chain back to the magic Ring.
• Change the size of your appliqué by using a smaller or bigger hook.
• If you are uncomfortable with the Magic Ring technique, CH4 and join to first chain to form a loop and work into the loop.
All one Round: WORK IN BACK BUMP OF CHAIN
• Start with MR.
• CH6, SC in 3rd CH from hook, HDC in next, DC in next, TR in last, join with SLST to MR – 1 arm made
• Repeat 4 more times for 5 points of starfish.
• Pull closed, then join to base first arm and fasten off. Leave tail for sewing.
You may need to flatten and reshape the appliqué so it lays flat like shown. But will be fine once sewn on.
You can use either side of the appliqué you wish. I love how you can get two different looks with the same appliqué!
This is an Everything Cozy I made using the starfish appliqué. These would work great on blankets, baskets, beach bags and more!
We’d love to see what you are making! Be sure to tag us on Facebook and Instagram with @kathyskozies and #kathyskozies if you make them!
The buttons and name plate can be found in my Etsy Shop!
Pattern and images are Copyright ©Kathy’s Kozies, Forget-Me-Not Creations LLC.
Please do not reproduce and redistribute this pattern or images in this pattern as your own. Not for commercial use. You are welcome to sell your finished piece, but if you do, I ask that you specify Kathy’s Kozies as the original designer and provide a link back to my pattern.